Sunday, November 6, 2011

Reflection of EDLD 5301 - Action Research

I was dreading having to take a class, an entire class, on nothing but research.  Just the word research made an involuntary shudder shake my entire body and brought to mind agonizing hours in a library slaving over 3x5 index cards.  As it turned out, though, not only did I learn a lot from this course, but I actually enjoyed aspects of it!  Action Research is nothing like what I recall from my high school experiences with research papers.  The key word is action.  It’s a method of inquiry which is cyclical rather than linear.  In the Dana text (2009), Principal Lynette Langford from Trenton Middle/High School in Trenton, Florida stated, “The best thing about inquiry is that it never stops; one wondering leads to another, and we are always finding ways to help our students.” (148) 
To me, the most important aspect of action research is that it is continuous questioning, continuous data gathering, and continuous reflection.  Decisions are made and action is taken based on the analysis of the findings, which are supported by data, but improvement is sustained by continuing to question and gather data, and reflecting on the outcomes.  Relevant experiences and related literature also come in to play, as well as collaboration among colleagues.  Action research is meant to be shared, and collaboration is encouraged. 
When confronted with a research “project” that was intended to span over several months to a year or more, I felt completely overwhelmed and out of my element.  The related readings for the course, especially the text by Harris et al (2010), and the templates provided both in the book and in our class resources were extremely helpful in breaking it down into manageable pieces.  Dr. Arterbury and Dr. Jenkins videos, presented in question and answer format, were also very helpful for explaining inquiry or action research.  I appreciated the ability to both listen and read about the topic to further my own understanding.  Meeting with my site mentor, Dr. Lori Broughton, was also very calming.  She helped to explain that the action research should be based on something I might already be doing in my classroom, rather than adding something else to my “to do” list.  She also helped me narrow down my topic and reassured me that I was on the right track.  I am very fortunate to have a site supervisor/mentor that is supportive and encouraging in my desire to further my learning and education.
I’ve learned that an action plan is likely to change or evolve over time as more questions develop or insight is gained through reflective thinking.  The one aspect that I feel makes action research the best choice for teachers and leaders, is that the research is conducted by person that has the question, rather than by an outside consultant or someone that may not be as familiar with the context of the research.  There is a greater chance of “buy-in” if the recommendation is coming from one of the stakeholders in the school or district instead of someone from outside the organization.

Dana, N. F. (2009). Leading with passion and knowledge: the principal as action researcher. Thousand Oaks, Calif.: Corwin Press, a Joint Publication with the American Association of School Administrators.

Harris, S., Edmonson, S., & Combs, J. P. (2010). Examining what we do to improve our schools: 8 steps from analysis to action. Larchmont, NY: Eye On Education.

No comments:

Post a Comment