Saturday, March 17, 2012

EDLD 5364 Week 2 Reflection



This week has been very difficult because there was so much information to take in. In addition to that, as a campus leader (department chair), I've been very involved with benchmark and nine weeks testing and data disaggregation this week. I found myself trying to watch the videos and read the articles very late at night. This week's readings were very interesting and diverse. Probably what interested me most from the reading was the notion that using technology with at risk students lowers the dropout rate. (Page 2002) Even though I have always been a proponent of using technology with students, it never occurred to me that it does more than provide a high interest, engaging method for introducing new concepts. It only makes sense that students that are engaged learn more easily, and that students that are successful have more self-esteem. Having a high level of self worth is critical in lowering dropout rates. I had never made this connection until I read about it in the research by Michael Page.


As a team, we are beginning to work on our plan for the given scenario. Luckily, our group members are all very flexible, and we work together well. Each of us brings something unique to the table, and sees things from different perspectives. I think I am in the minority with feeling more comfortable working with secondary students. Our other team members also have science and/or technology backgrounds, whereas I am an English and Speech teacher. Although this could cause problems in working together on a common goal, we have made our differences into positives by learning from each other’s backgrounds and experiences. I have been confused a bit this week about the different Google Sites, Google Documents, Wikis, and Blogs. We each have our own, and we also have our group pages. I prefer my Blog Spot for my reflections, and I hope that is acceptable since the assignment asks for my wiki ePortfolio. I’m not sure, so to be safe, I am posting on both my blog and my wiki.

Page, M. S. (2002). Technology-enriched classrooms: Effects on students of low socioeconomic status. Journal of Research on Technology in Education, 34(4), 389–409. Retrieved October 5, 2009 from the International Society of Education at http://www.iste.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Number_4_Summer
_20021&Template=/MembersOnly.cfm&ContentFileID=830


external image 2173061230936964985-7682002040524123393?l=julesnthedesert.blogspot.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment